Thursday, December 19, 2019

Agape Adding Fun to the classroom

Tis the season for some FUN!

This time of year in the classroom is crazy wild and fun! Today is a pajama day and it is two days from the break. BTW, I'm giving a quiz! 

In working with "A Christmas Carol" I had a few students who could not do the same kind of lessons I had planned for the other students. I was excited to take this as an opportunity to create fun for these students. These kids would work in the library and I added elements of fun like a warm-up of chess and other games. Is that really funny? They are reading Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and responding to questions and summarizing to me what they read in a Video Email. 

Oh, media staff had agreed to supervise while I taught.

Sounds really fun? Right? No, not really. Each day I try to give them something in the email that is goofy for them to do. One time I had them make a funny face at the end of the video, another time a goat noise, this time I had them do a British accent. Why? It is about being a little silly sometimes. My hope is that they find more excitement in the work they have to do. I hope it gives them something to look forward to and allows them to get into the time period. I try to connect each funny task to the lesson. It actually has me laughing quite a bit while viewing and watching them. I really liked what I added to these lessons and if I would have gone too crazy it could have taken them off the learning in front of them.


The kids are enjoying the videos and are hilarious! We still have a couple more days before the break but I think these kids are having a great experience and are happy with the tailored lessons for them.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! I would have laughed so stinking hard! What a great idea! I want to find a way to do something similar with my students. I love how you are making learning fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to make silliness a requirement as part of the assignment! I am sure that it helps make the content they are being silly with even more memorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! This sort of silliness reminds me of Monty Python, the kids will eat it up I'm sure. I suppose the next step is to do it for every student, but I'm glad you could do something special for our kids. You rock!

    ReplyDelete